Tuesday, November 5, 2019

Blog Day Thirty- Two: Population and Migration

Today in class we are completing an assignment on our blog.
Five pieces of information about Population and Migration.
  1. Syria's net migration rate is 57 migrants/ 1000 population. I found this surprising because I didn't expect Syria to have the highest net migration rate. What is even more surprising is that the difference between Syria's rate( #1) and the British Virgin Islands( #2) is 40.9. That is a very big gap and I found it surprising. Most of the migration rates we talked about in class were under 10, so 57 is a very shocking number. 
  2. The Pitcairn Islands have a population of 54 people. This is the smallest population in the world. I was shocked by this number. I knew the number would be low, I just didn't expect the number to be below the hundreds. The population pyramid for this country must be really small compared to the country with the world's largest population, China.  
  3. Liechtenstein has the largest GDP per capita at $139,100. I found this surprising because normally you don't hear people talking about Liechtenstein's economy. From class I know that this means Liechtenstein's good and services are worth a lot of money. 
  4. Afghanistan has the highest maternal mortality rate at 396,638 deaths/ 100,000 live births. I was somewhat shocked about this. Also the difference between the number one spot and number two spot is 395,488. I think having this rate is just another push factor of why people don't want to stay in the country. 
  5. India has a net migration rate of 0 migrants/ 1000 population. I found this surprising because India has the second highest population in the world. In class we learned that the net migration rate is found by taking away the people leaving from the people coming into the country. Either this means the people leaving the country is equal to the people coming in the country, or it means that no one leaves at all and no one comes into the country as well. 
Five different population pyramids and predictions.

  1. Cyprus- I think the population will decrease. The actual growth rate is 1.27%.
  2. Latvia- I think the population will rise slowly. The actual growth rate is -1.1%.
  3. Oman- I think the population will rise fast. The actual growth rate is 2%.
  4. Portugal- I think the population will decrease. The actual growth rate is -0.27%.
  5. Spain- I think the population will decrease. The actual growth rate is 0.73%. 

No comments:

Post a Comment